Do you ever wonder why our skin changes during winter, and why we are influenced to try new products and makeup techniques? When the air outside is cold and dry, the water in your skin evaporates more quickly; which makes your skin feel dry, and gets it looking extra flaky. The unflattering flakiness shows even when we try to cover it up with our usual foundations.
After doing our research, we found a few tips from various makeup artists that can help you achieve a better glow.
Tip # 1
Do Not Forget Your Moisturizer
- Think of it as a first step in your makeup routine before you even think about adding any layer of makeup. Hear us, lock in as much moisture as possible prior to applying your makeup!
- “Spend as much time massaging moisturizer in to boost your skin’s natural glow” says makeup artist Nick Barose.
- Try to moisturize when your skin is still damp after showering. The steam in the shower will help to plunge that moisturizer into the skin” —Marina Gravani, who works with Mariah Carey says.
Tip # 2
Stay Away From Anything Too Powdery
- “Powder can make fair skin look duller” says Barose. Instead, he recommends using a moisturizing CC cream for extra hydration.
- Forget powder products on days when your skin is dry or when you’re experiencing flaking (a tip that comes courtesy of bicoastal makeup artist Ingeborg) “I love RMS Un Cover-Up because it’s creamy, soothing, and feels weightless” she says.
Tip # 3
Switch Up Your Primer
- Use a shiny primer instead of a traditional matte one.
- The shimmer in the primer will help give your skin that amazing glowing-from-within effect
- “A hydrating primer will make your foundation look much better during these cold times. Give your skin a drink with Too Faced Hangover Face Primer ” —Daniel Chinchilla, who works with Ariana Grande says.
Tip # 4
Stick To Liquid & Cream Foundations
- The only thing worse than flakes is when your foundation actually highlights your flaky skin.
- Try using a foundation with a creamier base, which glides smoothly over the skin to avoid that.
- “Cream foundations tend to hold a little more moisture and give skin a nice dewy, hydrated finish. I like Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Stick Foundation and Bobbi Brown Foundation Sticks ” —makeup artist Brandie Hopstein, who works with Pia Mia, says.
Tip # 5
Add Liquid Highlighter
- For the most natural effect, Barose recommends applying a liquid highlighter with a damp Beauty Blender sponge.
- On his celebrity clients, he typically uses Giorgio Armani Beauty Fluid Sheer, a warm nude that’s glow-boosting.
And remember to hydrate your skin, and keep hydrating prior to applying your makeup for the flawless glow!